If you live in Cambridgeshire and you are thinking about fostering, then To The Moon and Back Foster Care agency is the right choice for you
According to the Cambridgeshire County Council, there are currently 700 children in care in Cambridgeshire and we have seen the biggest increase in numbers over the last 12 months. Children are currently having to be placed with families outside of Cambridgeshire because of the unavailability of local Cambridgeshire foster carer’s.
There are different types of fostering
Sibling groups vary in size, and the keeping of large sibling groups together is a particular challenge in Cambridgeshire. If you have the capacity to care for a sibling group regardless of the size we would be delighted to talk to you informally about how you can help to keep a family together.Find out more about fostering siblings ›
Across Cambridgeshire there are young parents and their babies in need of foster care. This is an area of speciality for our organisation and we provide training in Cambridge for foster carers wanting to undertake this type of fostering.Find out more about fostering young parents ›
Children regardless of their age are in care through no fault of their own. There are large numbers of teenagers in Cambridgeshire in need of a local Cambridgeshire foster home. Teenagers in care may present with emotional needs as a result of the hurt, loss and separation they may have experienced.Find out more about fostering teenagers ›
We are a forward thinking independent fostering agency based in Kings Hedges, Cambridge. We have a team of wonderful local social workers and therapists. We believe that everyone involved with To the Moon and Back Foster Care has the ability to influence positive change and our continuous improvement. We emphasise equal partnerships and achieve effective team work. We feel very strongly that all looked after children should have the same life chances as every other child and that being a looked after child should not reduce their life opportunities or outcomes.
We are dedicated to forming close communities of foster carers across Cambridgeshire and building local powerful networks of support. We are committed to professional development and we learn together locally at our regular conferences. We recognise the expertise of experienced foster carers and reward extra roles such as mentors provided by experienced foster carers to Cambridgeshire people new to fostering. We aim to be the foster agency of choice in Cambridgeshire for foster carers, our staff, the Cambridgeshire County Council and above all our children.Read more about us ›
We are a friendly approachable local independent foster agency with our head office in kings Hedges in Cambridge.
We offer development packages tailored to individual foster carers, whether you are new to fostering or an experienced foster carer, we recognise we all learn in different ways and at different speeds. We hold local conferences where we come together with a range of local professionals and learn from key experts about best practice and the latest research.
We offer our foster carers financial support with extra costs associated with the arrival of new children, for clothing and toys. We are a self-invested company and have no other shareholders. We therefore make local decisions about the development of our service including the future investment in our agency.
We offer very competitive allowances to our foster carers for their skill and dedication. We focus on the well-being of our team and providing an outstanding service, ensuring when you need extra support you have it.
We are looking for foster carers in and around Cambridgeshire especially in areas such as Peterborough, March, Newmarket, Huntingdon, Wisbech, Ely, St Neots and of course Cambridge itself. We are looking for people who are willing to go to the moon and back for children, treating the child as they would their own child supporting him or her to achieve their true potential in life.
We are based in Kings Hedges and have meet ups about fostering in a variety of places across Cambridgeshire where people drop in and meet over coffee and cake to talk informally about fostering.
We appreciate that you will have considered fostering for a while before wanting to talk further about it. There are things to consider when thinking about fostering. As a minimum you need to have a dedicated bedroom available in your home that can be used by a foster child so that they have space they can call their own.
We know it is a big decision for you and there is no rush on our part, we will take as long as you like for you to make the biggest decision to improve a child’s life.
We can help you with answering questions about fostering with us, regardless of where you are in Cambridgeshire. You can call us directly and we can talk over the phone, or you can drop in to our office where there is Box Café and we can have a coffee while you ask any questions, or you can come along to our advertised drop in events.
Following a discussion if you still feel fostering is for you, we will arrange to meet you in your home to talk again. Only when you are sure you want to become a foster carer with us will we suggest you complete our application form. To be clear, there is no commitment on your part until you have completed and submitted a formal application form and only when we have received your application will we commence the assessment process.
At that point we will have assessed that you meet all of the basic requirements needed to become a great foster carer in Cambridgeshire. The full assessment process is very detailed to fulfil child protection requirements so that we can be sure you are able to care for a vulnerable young person.
We will allocate an assessing social worker who will meet with you locally in your home in Cambridgeshire. This person who works for To the Moon and Back will support you throughout the assessment process and when it is finished will submit it to our local Cambridgeshire Independent Panel.The full process of becoming a new foster carer is fully explained here ›
- Open, caring, tolerant with determination, optimism, resilience and a good sense of humour
- Willing to learn new skills about child development and care, offering stability and commitment to a child or young person
- Open to working as a part of a close team, accepting advice and guidance from other professionals around you
- Prepared to go to the moon and back to help a child achieve their true potential
As a foster carer with Moon and Back you can expect:
- To be part of a local community of Cambridgeshire Moon and Back foster carers with regular facilitated opportunities to meet as a group
- To be allocated a friendly, empowering local Moon and Back social worker who will manage a small case load having the time and flexibility for you when you need it
- A professional, personal and approachable relationship with the organisation which supports you to be successful and capable of helping young people reach their full potential in life
- Regular monthly face to face contact with your supervising social worker at times convenient to you and on a day to day basis telephone calls and email information to maintain effective communication and active participation as part of our team
- A basic allowance from £400 per child per week with additional allowances available depending on the child’s unique needs
- A minimum of 14 days paid respite a year
- An innovative approach to training and development in all aspects of looking after a young person in your home
- Fun filled Moon and Back events for you, your foster child and your own family
- A dedicated support line to our team of professionals available 24/7